Audrey Hepburn (born Audrey Kathleen Ruston; 4 May 1929 – 20 January 1993) was a British actress and humanitarian. Recognised as both a film and fashion icon, Hepburn was active during Hollywood’s Golden Age. She has since been ranked as the third greatest female screen legend in the history of American cinema and been placed in the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame.
Born in Ixelles, a district of Brussels, Hepburn spent her childhood between Belgium, England and the Netherlands, including German-occupied Arnhem during the Second World War. In Amsterdam, she studied ballet with Sonia Gaskell before moving to London in 1948 to continue ballet training with Marie Rambert and perform as a chorus girl in West End musical theatre productions.
1. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO ENJOY YOUR LIFE – TO BE HAPPY – IT’S ALL THAT MATTERS.
2. I DON’T WANT TO BE ALONE, I WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE.
3. AND THE BEAUTY OF A WOMAN, WITH PASSING YEARS ONLY GROWS.
4. AS A MATTER AF FACT, I RATHER FEEL LIKE EXPRESSING MYSELF NOW.
5. EVERYTHING I LEARNED I LEARNED FROM THE MOVIES.
6. PEOPLE, EVEN MORE THAN THINGS, HAVE TO BE RESTORED, RENEWED, REVIVED, RECLAIMED, AND REDEEMED; NEVER THROW OUT ANYONE.
7. I’VE BEEN LUCKY. OPPORTUNITIES DON’T OFTEN COME ALONG. SO, WHEN THEY DO, YOU HAVE TO GRAD THEM.
8. I HEARD A DEFINITION ONCE: HAPPINESS IS HEALTH AND A SHORT MEMORY! I WISH I’D INVENTED IT, BECAUSE IT IS VERY TRUE.
9. WHY CHANGE? EVERYONE HAS HIS OWN STYLE. WHEN YOU HAVE FOUND IT, YOU SHOULD STICK TO IT.
10. YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL WHAT KIND OF A PERSON A MAN REALLY THINKS YOU ARE BY THE EARRING HE GIVES YOU.
11. WHEN YOU HAVE NOBODY YOU CAN MAKE A CUP OF TEA FOR, WHEN NOBODY NEEDS YOU, THAT’S WHEN I THINK LIFE IS OVER.
12. I HAVE TO BE ALONE VERY OFTEN. I’D BE QUITE HAPPY IF I SPENT FROM SATURDAY NIGHT UNTIL MONDAY MORNING ALONE IN MY APARTMENT. THAT’S HOW I REFUEL.
13. I’M AN INTROVERT… I LOVE BEING BY MYSELF, LOVE BEING OUTDOORS, LOVE TAKING A LONG WALK WITH MY DOGS AND LOOKING AT THE TREES, FLOWERS, THE SKY.
14. LET’S FACE IT, A NICE CREAMY CHOCOLATE CAKE DOES A LOT FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE; IT DOES FOR ME.
15. IF I GET MARRIED, I WANT TO BE VERY MARRIED.
16. PARIS IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.
17. I DON’T WANT TO BE ALONE, I WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE.
18. YOU CAN TELL MORE ABOUT A PERSON BY WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT OTHERS THAN YOU CAN BY WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT HIM.
19. THE BEST THING TO HOLD ONTO IN LIFE IS EACH OTHER.
20. YOUR HEART JUST BREAKS, THAT’S ALL. BUT YOU CAN’T JUDGE OR POINT FINGERS. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND SOMEONE WHO APPRECIATES YOU.
21. I WAS BORN WITH AN ENORMOUS NEED FOR AFFECTION, AND A TERRIBLE NEED TO GIVE IT.
22. IF I’M HONEST I HAVE TO TELL YOU I STILL READ FAIRY-TALES AND I LIKE THEM BEST OF ALL.
23. I LOVE PEOPLE WHO MAKE ME LAUGH. I HONESTLY THINK IT’S THE THING I LIKE MOST, TO LAUGH. IT CURES A MULTITUDE OF ILLS. IT’S PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN A PERSON.
24. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, THE WORD ITSELF SAYS ‘I’M POSSIBLE’!